TMF Disaster Relief Grants
A grant program for Philadelphia’s businesses impacted by Hurricane Ida
The Merchants Fund (“TMF”) seeks to provide grants of up to $5,000 to businesses in Philadelphia that have suffered direct physical damage and/or inventory losses from flooding related to Hurricane Ida. *Given the overwhelming need facing so many business owners, please note that grant funding is not guaranteed.
If you have applied for state or federal assistance (PEMA/FEMA), or plan to, it is possible that a grant from TMF could impact the amount that federal agencies will pay you in assistance. Should you be awarded a grant from TMF, you acknowledge that accepting grant funds may have this impact.
- Occupy a storefront, retail, or commercial space physically located in Philadelphia.
- Have experienced direct physical damage or inventory loss due to Hurricane Ida, with priority focus on flood damage and/or losses not covered by insurance.
- Be an independently-owned and operated for-profit business or franchise.
- Be in compliance with all local, state, and federal taxes (or on an approved payment plan).
- Have the required federal, state, and local licenses and permits to operate legally.
Due to very limited funding, this disaster relief grant program will prioritize businesses:
- That suffered damages or loss of inventory that is not covered by insurance.
- Where TMF’s modest sized grants can have the greatest impact (i.e. total cost of damages relative to grant size).
- That have an annual revenue of less than $1,000,000.
Where and How to Apply
- Beginning Tuesday, September 28, business owners can apply online through the following link: https://webportalapp.com/webform/tmfgrant_disaster_relief_app. The deadline to submit applications is 11:59 p.m. EST on Sunday, October 10, 2021.
- The online application is simple and is estimated to take approximately 20 minutes to complete. *Please be advised that the online form DOES NOT have a “Save Draft” option, thus we strongly recommend that you plan to fill out the application in one full sitting to avoid losing any of your previously entered data.
- All submitted applications will be reviewed after October 10th. The program is not first-come, first-served.
- Grant awards will be announced the week of October 18th.
What You’ll Need to Apply
- Basic information about your business, such as: type and structure of business, annual revenue, number of employees, etc.
- Description of the damage incurred due to the hurricane, as well as photos of all damage reported.
- Estimated cost of repair for the sustained damages and losses.
- If you have insurance, a basic understanding of coverages and out of pocket expenses relating to the damage, as well as any documentation of claims filed.
- A copy of your most recently filed tax return.
*Applicants must sign an affidavit certifying that all information provided is true and accurate.
Download a PDF version of the application for review: Disaster Relief Application Form
Acceptable Uses of Funds
Funds can be used for business expenses incurred, or to be incurred, as a result of Hurricane Ida, such as:
- restoring property
- replacing inventory, furniture/fixtures, and other assets
- insurance deductibles
- general operating expenses while the business is/was unable to operate (e.g. rent, utilities, payroll, etc.)
Additional resources and tips for businesses are being updated regularly and can be found here. You can also sign up for our newsletter where we frequently share information related to other funding opportunities. If you would like to be added to our Wait List to be considered for future grant opportunities, please complete this form.