A grant program for Philadelphia small businesses impacted by civil unrest
Goal: To provide grants to small, independently-owned businesses in historically disadvantaged communities that have suffered property damage, vandalism or inventory losses during the recent civil unrest. Grants will be made up to $10,000 depending on the extent of damage and needs of the business.
- Occupy a storefront, retail, or commercial space physically located in Philadelphia. This includes kiosks.
- Have experienced more than $500 in damage during civil unrest between May 30, 2020 and time of application.
- Be independently-owned; franchises are eligible only if independently-owned.
- Earn annual revenue of less than $2 million at the impacted location.
- Be in compliance with all local, state, and federal taxes (or on an approved payment plan).
- Have required federal, state, and local licenses and permits to legally operate.
Due to limited funding, the Restore and Reopen grant program will prioritize businesses that:
- Are located in historically disadvantaged communities.
- Employ local residents.
Where and How to Apply:
- Application will be available online until the deadline. DEADLINE EXTENDED. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. on Monday, June 29. Applications will be evaluated beginning Tuesday, June 30; not as they are received.
What You’ll Need to Apply:
- Basic information about your business, such as: type and structure of business, annual revenue, number of employees, and number of employees hired locally.
- Description of the damage incurred during the specific time period.
- Estimated cost of repair for the damage incurred during the specified time period.
- Photos of all damage reported, or a report from the Philadelphia Police Department.
- If you have insurance, a basic understanding of coverages and out of pocket expenses relating to the damage.
If Business Owners Need Assistance:
- Various community partners can provide free assistance to businesses who may need help completing the application. This includes language translation services, technological support, and help with documenting damage. These organizations can apply on your behalf, with your consent.
- Other questions about the Restore and Reopen program should be directed to the City of Philadelphia’s Department of Commerce hotline, which is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 215-683-2100